What Is Gastric Plication?
Laparoscopic gastric plication is a newer minimally invasive weight-loss surgery technique that reduces the size of the stomach capacity to approximately three ounces.
The procedure does not involve the use of an implanted device (such as gastric banding). Also, unlike the gastric sleeve procedure, gastric plication may be reversible because a portion of the stomach is not removed. In addition, unlike gastric bypass, gastric plication does not involve rerouting and reconnecting the intestines.
It is a restrictive weight-loss surgery, meaning that it restricts the amount of food the stomach can hold. You will feel full sooner so you won’t want to eat as much.
Understanding the Procedure
Gastric plication uses laparoscopic techniques resulting in faster recovery and less scarring than open surgery. The hospital stay is typically 24 - 48 hours. Recovery times may vary, but patients can generally return to work and normal activities within seven to 10 days.
- No rerouting of intestines as with gastric bypass
- Does not involve implanting a banding device around a portion of the stomach
- No adjustments are needed as with gastric banding
- Procedure may be reversible, unlike sleeve gastrectomy or gastric bypass
- Gastric plication is a newer procedure and hasn’t been tested as long as sleeve gastrectomy, gastric banding or gastric bypass
- It is not covered by insurance at this time
Ideal Candidates for Gastric Plication
- Obese (BMI of 30 or more) for several years
- Serious nonsurgical weight-loss attempts unsuccessful
- Willingness to make significant lifestyle changes
- Standard risks associated with surgery and general anesthesia
- Nausea and vomiting
- Separation of stitched areas (requires revisional surgery)
- Leaks from sutured areas (requires revisional surgery)
Our team at the Bariatric and Metabolic Institute is committed making sure all your questions are answered and to helping determine the best weight-loss surgery for you. We are dedicated to helping you successfully achieve and maintain your weight-loss goals.
Take the next step in your weight-loss journey.
Call us today at