Minimally Invasive Gastric Bypass Surgery
Gastric bypass limits the amount of food that you can eat and digest. At the Bariatric and Metabolic Institute, we perform gastric bypass using a minimally invasive approach called the Roux-en-Y procedure.
In a Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, the stomach is made smaller by creating a small pouch at the top of the stomach using surgical staples or a plastic band. The resulting pouch is only about the size of a walnut and can hold about one ounce of food. After the pouch has been created, most of the stomach and part of the intestines are bypassed by attaching (usually stapling) part of the intestine to the small stomach pouch. As a result, a gastric bypass patient cannot eat as much and absorbs fewer nutrients and calories.
This minimally invasive, laparoscopic method allows for less time spent in the hospital and faster recovery and healing time.
- Rapid initial weight loss
- Approach is minimally invasive approach
- Longer clinical experience in the U.S.
- Slightly higher total average weight loss reported than with purely restrictive procedures
- Rapid improvement or resolution of
type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome
- Cutting and stapling of stomach and bowel are required
- More potential operative complications
- Portion of digestive tract is bypassed, reducing absorption of essential nutrients
- Potential complications due to nutritional deficiencies
- "Dumping syndrome" can occur
- Procedure is not adjustable and difficult to reverse
- Higher mortality rate
- Mortality rate: 0.5 - 2 percent
- Total complications: 23 percent
- Major complications: 2.1 percent
The most common complications include:
- Standard risks associated with major surgery
- Nausea and vomiting
- Separation of stapled areas (requires major revisional surgery)
- Leaks from staple lines (requires major revisional surgery)
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Hospital stay is usually 48 - 72 hours
- Many patients return to normal activity within two and a half weeks
- Full surgical recovery usually occurs within about three weeks
Take the next step in your weight-loss journey.
Call us today at