Make an Appointment
Take the next step in your weight loss journey. Call us today at 858-657-8860.
Laparoscopic gastric plication is a newer minimally invasive weight-loss surgery technique that reduces the size of the stomach capacity to approximately 3 ounces.
It is a restrictive weight-loss surgery, meaning that it restricts the amount of food the stomach can hold. You will feel full sooner so you won’t want to eat as much, which helps you lose weight.
The procedure does not involve the use of an implanted device (such as gastric banding). Also, unlike the gastric sleeve procedure, gastric plication may be reversible because a portion of the stomach is not removed. In addition, unlike gastric bypass, gastric plication does not involve rerouting and reconnecting the intestines.
Understanding the Gastric Plication Procedure
Gastric plication uses laparoscopic techniques resulting in faster recovery and less scarring than open surgery. The hospital stay is typically 24 to 48 hours. Recovery times may vary, but patients can generally return to work and normal activities within seven to 10 days.
- No rerouting of intestines as with gastric bypass
- Does not involve implanting a banding device around a portion of the stomach
- No adjustments are needed as with
- Procedure may be reversible, unlike
sleeve gastrectomy or
- Gastric plication is a newer procedure and hasn’t been tested as long as sleeve gastrectomy, gastric banding or gastric bypass.
- It is not covered by insurance at this time.
Ideal Candidates for Gastric Plication
- Obese (BMI of 30 or more) for several years
- Serious nonsurgical weight-loss attempts unsuccessful
- Willingness to make significant lifestyle changes
- Standard risks associated with surgery and general anesthesia
- Nausea and vomiting
- Separation of stitched areas (which would require revisional surgery)
- Leaks from sutured areas (which would require revisional surgery)
Our team at the
Bariatric and Metabolic Institute is committed making sure all your questions are answered and to helping determine the best weight-loss surgery for you. We are dedicated to helping you successfully achieve and maintain your weight-loss goals.