Leader in Laryngology for Over 30 Years
The only multispecialty center in San Diego for laryngologic care.
Dr. Weissbrod is one of a few doctors in the country who specializes in rehabilitation to address voice and swallowing disorders.
Since the 1980s, UC San Diego Health System has been at the forefront of research and clinical care. Dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of voice, swallowing, and airway disorders, we offer a wide range of state-of-the-art medical, surgical, and behavioral therapy options.
Our goal: To enhance communication, performance, and quality of life by restoring and optimizing voice and laryngeal function.
Many people who are referred to the center have hoarseness, cough, reflux, or other changes in voice quality. We see a wide variety of swallowing problems relating to:
Our multidisciplinary team utilizes leading-edge therapies to address voice and swallowing disorders including:
- Speech and voice therapy
- Swallow therapy
- Medication management for:
- Chronic cough
- Gastroesophageal or laryngopharyngeal reflux
- Office-based procedures
- Diagnostic laryngeal electromyography
- Flexible endoscopic evaluation of swallowing
- Flexible laryngoscopy and bronchoscopy
- KTP laser for treatment of papilloma, glottic dysplasia/cancer, granuloma
- Laryngeal botox for laryngeal dystonia and tremor
- Transnasal esophagoscopy
- Videostroboscopy (flexible and rigid)
- Vocal fold injection medialization
- Operating room based procedures - We offer a wide variety of both endoscopic minimally invasive surgery and open surgical procedures for:
- Airway stenosis/scarring of the pharynx, larynx, subglottis, and trachea
- Benign vocal fold lesions including cysts, polyps, granulomas, papillomas, and Reinke’s edema
- Cricopharyngeal hypertrophy and spasm
- Laryngeal tumors and dysplasia
- Vocal fold atrophy
- Vocal fold immobility
- Zenker’s diverticula
Prior to seeing one of our practitioners, please print and fill out a patient history form and questionnaire (bring with you to the consultation).
During the first visit, you will undergo a comprehensive evaluation which will include:
- Complete medical history
- Physical examination
- Possible evaluation of the larynx (either transoral or transnasal endoscopy or videostroboscopy)
Plan to spend up to 40 minutes in our office.
Before you leave, you will receive a comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic plan based upon your needs. We believe that a patient’s understanding of his or her condition is an important first step in healing, and we will prioritize this throughout your care.
Request an appointment
Clinical Trials and Research
As the region’s largest academic health system, and the only laryngology center in San Diego, we offer patients the opportunity to participate in research and clinical trials investigating newly developed therapies not yet available at other hospitals and clinics. Read more about research and clinical trials.