During your health care journey through adulthood and advanced years, you need a doctor who understands and cares for your changing needs.
Depend on UC San Diego Health internal medicine doctors specializing in preventing, diagnosing and treating disease in adults. Our personalized and coordinated care can address all your health needs and help you maintain an active lifestyle.
Getting your care at the only academic health system in the region gives you access to leading-edge technology, treatments and research that may not be available elsewhere.
What Is Internal Medicine?
Unlike other specialties focused on a specific organ or disease, internal medicine covers a broad spectrum of adult ailments.
Primary care providers (PCPs) who specialize in internal medicine are also called internists. They are trained to diagnose a broad range of illnesses and diseases in adults, and provide comprehensive primary care beyond treating immediate symptoms.
Internal medicine doctors offer several services, including preventive care and management and treatment of common or complex conditions. We have general internists as well as medical subspecialists with training in cardiology, endocrinology, hepatology and other fields.
You get the opportunity to form a long-term partnership with your UC San Diego Health internal medicine doctor.
Find an Internal Medicine Doctor Near Me
Read provider bios, including ratings and locations. Or call 800-926-8273 — we can help you find the right internal medicine PCP.
Your internal medicine PCP will deliver the highest quality of care customized for you. You get the best of therapeutic and diagnostic technology with our extensive training and experience in providing the most up-to-date primary care. We partner with you to customize care for your needs in a welcoming and compassionate environment.
Internal Medicine Services
Wellness, prevention and collaborative care are the cornerstones of our services.
Whether you need a flu shot, annual checkup, physical exam or assessment of a specific issue, your UC San Diego Health internal medicine expert is there for you. We provide several services to optimize your health, including:
- Diagnosis and treatment of all health conditions
- Chronic disease management and state-of-the-art care
- Acute-care treatment
- Appointments for urgent problems within one business day
- Reviewing test results and notes after appointments with specialists or diagnostic and laboratory results with you
- Health maintenance and preventive care, including routine examinations, screenings and immunizations such as annual flu shots
- Effective preventive care, including annual Medicare wellness visits, if you’re a Medicare beneficiary
- Short-term therapy (for a few weeks or months) for common mental health concerns — such as insomnia, anxiety, depression and family and relationship problems — right in your primary care clinic. Our integrated behavioral health providers can help you learn useful coping skills to enhance your health and well-being. Read the details and learn how to get a referral from your PCP.
Is My Insurance Accepted?
We accept most major insurance plans at UC San Diego Health. Find out if your insurance is accepted.
Located in several convenient locations around San Diego County, our internal medicine clinics offer convenient access to world-class care for your entire family. You’ll get personalized and coordinated care in a welcoming and compassionate environment.
Same-Day or Next-Day Appointments
Some PCPs offer same-day or next-day appointments. You can also message your family medicine doctor's office through MyUCSDChart, your secure online health tool.
If you prefer to get care from the comfort of your home, you can schedule video visits online with your family medicine doctor.