Pediatric Travel Medicine
If your family is traveling abroad, we can provide advice on health precautions and vaccinations for your child and expert care both before and after your trip.
UC San Diego Health offers specialized, pre-travel consultation services to help ensure the safety and health of children traveling internationally. We also provide post-travel pediatric medical care should a health concern develop during or following travel and your primary care pediatrician refers your child to us.
We can customize our care to your child’s age, medical history, travel destination and length of stay.
Conditions We Treat
Conditions addressed by our pediatric travel team include:
- Diarrhea and diarrhea-related diseases
- Insect and animal bites
- Pertussis (whooping cough)
- Typhoid fever
- Yellow fever
Plan in advance: For the full benefits of our pediatric travel medicine services, please schedule your visit four to six weeks before your departure date.
Our Pediatric Travel Medicine Services
Pre-travel Care for Your Children
- Destination-specific travel counseling on diseases and health risks specific to your itinerary
- Pre-travel medical evaluation
- Vaccinations for diseases such as typhoid, yellow fever, rabies and Japanese encephalitis
- Medications to prevent regional malaria
- Prescriptions for drugs to treat travelers’ diarrhea
- Illness-prevention advice, including safety concerns related to food, drink and climate
- Injury prevention and advice
Care After Travel for Your Children
We provide post-travel medical care, in case your child’s primary care pediatrician refers your child to us in the event of an illness during or after your trip. Our services include physical exams, laboratory services and treatment.
Paying for Care
Our pediatric travel medicine services may require cash-only payments. Although we accept insurance, most health insurance plans do not cover travel-related medicine.
Please check with your insurance company to determine what your policy covers.
Travel Medicine for Adults
Going overseas? You can get destination-specific travel medicine services from UC San Diego Health.
Children's Travel Health Expertise
With expertise in tropical and travel medicine, our physicians can recommend immunizations and medications and offer knowledgeable travel advice to avert infection, disease and injury throughout the itinerary. We have experts specially trained to diagnose and treat common and complex infections in children.