Transportation and Shuttle Services
UC San Diego Health patients have the following transportation options for our Hillcrest and La Jolla medical campuses.
Public Transportation and UC Shuttles
Several bus and trolley routes serve our Hillcrest and La Jolla hospitals. See Public Transit at UC San Diego.
Free UC San Diego shuttles connect the hospitals and some of our clinics to the city's public transit system. They operate year-round on weekdays (excluding university holidays):
- Hillcrest: The Hillcrest Express connects the Hillcrest Medical Center to the Old Town Transit Center trolley and bus services.
- La Jolla: The Health Campus Connector runs between the La Jolla hospitals and the UC San Diego Health La Jolla trolley station.
Directions and Parking
You have several options for transportation when you are discharged from the hospital. These options can help you reach home, a skilled or rehabilitation facility, assisted living or another arrangement. Transportation for future appointments also is available. Please talk to your medical team to schedule discharge transportation.
Note that not all forms of medical transport are covered by health plans.
- Wheelchair van, for patients who need to ride in a wheelchair. The cost is $80 plus $5 per mile.
- Gurney transport, non-emergency transport on a gurney for those who cannot sit up. The cost is $145 plus $7 per mile.
- Basic Life Support (BLS), may be covered by your health plan if medically necessary.
- Advanced Life Support (ALS), is covered by your health plan if medically necessary.