When you live with HIV, you need primary care from a doctor who understands your unique health needs.
Look to the Owen Clinic for inclusive whole-person care from professionals who respect your beliefs, preferences and values. Trust us for responsive welcoming care because we are repeatedly recognized by the Human Rights Campaign Foundation as a leader in LGTBQ health care equity.
Because HIV can impact your life in many ways, we offer you a range of key services, including:
- Mental health services: For psychiatric consultations and prescription drug management
- Nutrition services: For healthy living and weight control
- Drug and alcohol counseling: To help establish or maintain sobriety and quit smoking
- Case management: For referrals to local services and other resources
- Financial counseling: For help with getting health insurance
- Patient info: For confidential counseling and info on living well with HIV, and making the most of your clinic visits
Clinics for women, children, youth and young adults living with HIV
Specialty Clinics for HIV-Related Conditions
Your specialty care is convenient, too, with several in-house clinics to address common health concerns and conditions, including:
- Anal dysplasia clinic: For patients who have had an abnormal Pap smear
- Hepatitis co-infection clinic: For patients with hepatitis B or C
- Lipid clinic: For patients with high cholesterol or high triglyceride levels
- Pre-exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) Clinic: For HIV-negative patients who are interested in PrEP to prevent HIV
- Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT) Clinic: For patients with substance use disorders who might benefit from buprenorphine (Suboxone, Sublocade) or naltrexone (Vivitrol)
Your doctor can also refer you to other specialists, outside Owen Clinic, to fully address your health issues.
HIV Research and Clinical Trials
You may also benefit from our doctors' research on HIV and innovations to improve care for people living with HIV. Clinical trials can offer you early access to a new and better treatment. Please talk with your provider to discuss whether you are a good candidate for a clinical trial.
Your HIV Care Team
At the Owen Clinic, your care is led by a primary care doctor with expertise in HIV care. Your doctor, nurses and social workers work together to make sure you get the care you need. If you have an urgent question or issue, you can call an on-call nurse for assistance. Clinic pharmacists can help you and your doctor plan and adjust your HIV drugs. Counseling is available to help patients adhere to their treatment plan.
About San Diego's Premier HIV Care Clinic
The Owen Clinic, established in 1982, is the largest, most comprehensive primary care center in San Diego for individuals living with HIV.
Each year our physicians, nurses, social workers and pharmacists care for, counsel, educate and support more than 3,000 men and women.
The Owen Clinic's mission also includes training medical students, residents and community doctors on how to provide exceptional care to those with HIV/AIDS.