Dr. Kinkel meets with a patient during a regular medical checkup.
Multiple sclerosis (MS) is an inflammatory disease of the central nervous system. The central nervous system is made up of the brain, spinal cord and optic nerves. In MS, the body attacks myelin, the protective substance coating millions of nerve fibers. When the myelin or nerve fiber is damaged, nerve impulses traveling to and from the brain and spinal cord are distorted.
The symptoms of MS are variable and unpredictable. They can be mild, such as numbness in the limbs, or severe, such as paralysis or loss of vision. Problems with fatigue, bladder, bowel control or sexual function are common. The progression and severity of MS varies from person to person.
multiple sclerosis program
is led by Dr. Revere (Rip) Kinkel
, an internationally recognized neurologist. Our top priority is the people we serve. People diagnosed with MS and their families face years of many unknowns. Loss of cognition or vision, reduced mobility and emotional changes, among many other symptoms, can become life-altering, multidimensional challenges. In response to these challenges, the multiple sclerosis program works as a multidisciplinary team with physical therapists, psychiatrists, mobility experts and others to provide complete care for people with MS.
Our patients with MS have access to leading-edge research -- led by Jennifer Graves, MD -- in the development of new therapies.
Why Choose Us?
- As the only academic health system in the region, we are leaders in discoveries and groundbreaking research. More about MS.
- We provide advanced volumetric MRI brain scans, ensuring accurate diagnosis and monitoring of multiple sclerosis. How we diagnose MS.
- Our program is led by internationally recognized neurologist and researcher
Dr. Revere Kinkel, who built and directed multiple sclerosis programs at other highly reputable academic medical centers.
- We are a designated affiliated center for comprehensive care by the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. Our connected care services.
- At our multidisciplinary clinic, our neurologists partner with health care professionals from other medical disciplines, assistive technology professionals, and rehabilitation experts to provide whole-person care. About our MS treatment.
- We team up with
Rady Children's Hospital San Diego to provide care and research for children with MS.