UC San Diego Health offers specialized, pre-travel consultation services to help ensure the safety and health of children travelling internationally.
With expertise in tropical and travel medicine, our physicians can recommend immunizations and medications, and offer knowledgeable travel advice to avert infection, disease and injury throughout itinerary. We also offer post-travel pediatric medical care should a health concern develop during or following travel.
Conditions addressed by our pediatric travel team include:
Advance Planning is Preventive Medicine
For the full benefits of our pediatric travel medicine services, please schedule your visit four to six weeks before your departure date.
- Diarrhea and diarrheal-related disease
- Insect and animal bites
- Yellow fever
- Typhoid fever
- Pertussis (whooping cough)
Among the services we offer:
- Destination-specific travel counseling on diseases and health risks specific to your itinerary
- Pre-travel medical evaluation
- Vaccinations for diseases such as typhoid, yellow fever, rabies and Japanese encephalitis
- Medications to prevent regional malaria
- Prescriptions for drugs to treat travelers’ diarrhea
- Illness-prevention advice, including safety concerns related to food, drink and climate
- Injury prevention and advice
- Post-travel medical care, including physical exams, laboratory services and treatment