Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality
The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Foundation, the educational arm of the nation’s largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer civil rights organization, has again
named UC San Diego Health as a leader in LGBTQ healthcare equality.
Recognized as one of the nation's outstanding HIV primary care clinics, the Owen Clinic embraces a whole-person view of HIV care, offering a range of programs to address the spectrum of ways in which a person’s life may be impacted by a chronic health condition such as HIV.
To support and nurture each and every individual on his or her journey to well-being, we offer:
- Mental health services: For psychiatric evaluations and medication management
- Nutrition services: For evaluation, counseling and body-composition measurements
- Drug and alcohol counseling: For support to establish or maintain sobriety and quit smoking
- Case management support: For referrals to community-based services and other resources
- Financial counseling: For assistance with securing health care coverage
- Patient education: For confidential counseling and education on living well with HIV, and making the most of your clinic visits
- Special clinics for women, children, youth and young adults living with HIV
Specialty Clinics for HIV-Related Conditions
We also offer in-house specialty care to better support the specific medical needs of patients with HIV at a single, convenient location – your medical home. These include:
- Anal dysplasia clinic: For patients who have had an abnormal pap smear
- Liver clinic: For patients with hepatitis B or C
- Lipid/lipodystrophy clinic: For patients with high cholesterol or high triglyceride levels
- Oncology/hematology clinic: For patients with HIV-related cancer or blood problems
In addition to our in-house services, our physicians can refer you to other specialists with expertise in HIV-related health issues, such as
neuropathic pain and cognitive declines
Research and Clinical Trials Related to HIV Care and Prevention
As part of a research-intensive academic medical system, our patients may have an opportunity to participate in HIV or AIDS research projects or clinical trials, and potentially benefit from the latest advances in care before they are widely available to the general public. Please talk with your provider to discuss whether you are a good candidate for a research study or clinical trial. Learn more about
Research and Clinical Trials at UC San Diego Health
Your HIV Care Team
As a patient at the Owen Clinic, your care will be coordinated by a single primary care provider (PCP) experienced in your particular health care challenges. Your PCP will work in partnership with nurses and social workers to ensure you always receive the care you need in a coordinated and compassionate setting. To further support your care, the clinic has on-call nurses who are ready to answer questions, advise you on health concerns, and communicate urgent issues to your PCP. Clinic pharmacists can help you and your PCP plan for initial HIV treatments or adjust antiretroviral regimens. Counseling is available to help patients adhere to their treatment regimes.
Meet your care team.
About San Diego's Premier HIV Care Clinic
Established in 1982, the Owen Clinic is the largest, most comprehensive primary care center in San Diego for individuals living with HIV.
Each year our physicians, nurses, social workers and pharmacists care for, counsel, educate and support more than 3,000 men and women.
The Owen Clinic's mission also includes training medical students, residents and community doctors on how to provide exceptional care to those with HIV/AIDS.