With two distinct birth settings and a large staff of physicians and midwives, as well as high-risk specialists and equipment, UC San Diego Health gives you more childbirth options than anywhere else in San Diego. Call 800-926-8273 for assistance in choosing a provider.
Free Pregnancy Seminar on May 16
Join us for a discussion on pregnancy in your 30s and beyond with UC San Diego Health fertility specialists on Thursday, May 16, 2019, at our La Jolla campus.
Meet the Maternity Team
Meet physicians and midwives and ask questions about prenatal care and delivery options at UC San Diego Health.
Event information and registration
Deliveries in La Jolla and Hillcrest
- More birth options than any other hospitals in San Diego, with Birth Center or Labor & Delivery settings available at both Jacobs Medical Center in La Jolla or UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest
- Both hospitals have a NICU, including a Level III NICU at Jacobs Medical Center and a Level II Intermediate NICU at UC San Diego Health in Hillcrest
- Nationally known for our
Free volunteer doula program
- Hospital amenities including free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TVs, valet parking and room for family members
Locally-sourced menu items and
celebratory brunch for new parents
Prenatal Care Options
Birth Center amenities include:
- Spacious suites
- Double or queen-size beds
- Rocking chair
- Labor support including hypnotherapy, birthing balls, birthing stools, and IV pain medication
- Ability to eat and drink during labor
Labor & Delivery Suites / Postpartum Care
- Spacious Labor & Delivery suites, with room for family members
- Surgical suites for Cesarean deliveries
Private postpartum rooms, where parents and babies room in together
- Nap time from 2–4 p.m., when hospital staff avoid any unnecessary care to allow babies and parents to rest, heal, bond, and breastfeed
Women’s Special Care Center (for high-risk pregnancies)
Women's Special Care Center, for women who need inpatient care before the birth of their babies, offers:
- Personalized and compassionate care with state-of-the-art technology
- Patient support group
- Refrigerators for patient use
- In-hospital Fetal Assessment Unit
Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) at Jacobs Medical Center
- Level II Intermediate NICU at UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest
- Designated NICU "cuddlers"
- NICU Concierge Program, including hosted monthly dinners for NICU parents
Specialty Programs and Services
Jacobs Medical Center offers care for every kind of birth, including low and high-risk pregnancies and deliveries. Private rooms offer floor-to-ceiling windows and beautiful views.