With two distinct birth settings and a large staff of physicians and midwives, as well as high-risk specialists and technology, UC San Diego Health gives you more childbirth options than anywhere else in San Diego. Call 800-926-8273 for assistance in choosing a provider.
Praise for our Quality of Care
Meet the Maternity Team
Meet physicians and midwives and ask questions about prenatal care and delivery options at UC San Diego Health.
Event information and registration
Deliveries in La Jolla and Hillcrest
- We offer a holistic Birth Center at Jacobs Medical Center in La Jolla or traditional Labor & Delivery settings available at both Jacobs Medical Center and UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest
- Both hospitals have a NICU, including a Level III NICU at Jacobs Medical Center and a Level II Intermediate NICU at UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest
- Nationally recognized breastfeeding support
Free volunteer doula program
- Hospital amenities include free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TVs, valet parking and room for family members
Locally sourced menu items and
celebratory brunch for new parents
Prenatal Care Options
Birth Center amenities include:
- Spacious suites
- Double or queen-size beds
- Rocking chair
- Labor support including hypnotherapy, birthing balls, birthing stools, and IV pain medication
- Ability to eat and drink during labor
Labor & Delivery Suites / Postpartum Care
- Spacious Labor & Delivery suites, with room for family members
- Surgical suites for Cesarean deliveries
Private postpartum rooms, where parents and babies room-in together
- Nap time from 2 to 4 p.m., when hospital staff avoid any unnecessary care to allow babies and parents to rest, heal, bond, and breastfeed
Special Care For High-Risk Pregnancies
Women's Special Care Center, for women who need inpatient care before the birth of their babies, offers:
- Personalized and compassionate care with state-of-the-art technology
- Patient support group
- Refrigerators for patient use
- In-hospital Fetal Assessment Unit
Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) at Jacobs Medical Center
- Level II Intermediate NICU at UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest
- Designated NICU "cuddlers"
- NICU Concierge Program, including hosted monthly dinners for NICU parents
Specialty Programs and Services
Pregnancy Billing and Insurance
If you would like to see a UC San Diego physician or midwife for your maternity care, your insurance may require you to select a UC San Diego primary care physician. For more information, see How to Switch Your Care to UC San Diego Health.
For general billing and insurance questions, please call 855-827-3633 or see:
Pregnancy and COVID-19 Vaccines
Dr. Gladys "Sandy" Ramos is a maternal-fetal medicine specialist who cares for women with high-risk pregnancies. Find out why she recommends that pregnant women get the COVID-19 vaccine in this video (in English and Spanish).